Each of the session learning outcomes have in
brackets a cross reference to indicate which module learning outcome is addressed.
At the end of this guided study the student should be able to:
1. Identify and discuss the term self-ventilation and
the pre-requisites for this to take place.
2. Discuss the normal physiology of nasal breathing.
3. Discuss the government led initiative on smoking
4. Identify and describe the criteria that befits the
grading of and allocation of care provision regarding acute service users.
5. Analyse the care required with respect to oxygen
therapy. (1.1, 1.3,2.1)
6. Discuss the rationale of the assessment of the
breathless patient. (1.1, 1.3, 2.1,3.1, 3.2)
7. Utilise evidence to support care provision. (1.2,
8. Establish criteria to ascertain differential
9. Evaluate care provision in relation to altered
physiology of respiratory system. (1.1,1.3, 2.1,3.1)
10. Identify normal blood gas analysis and discuss
the practical conditions in obtaining and processing a blood gas result.
11. Describe the principles of non-invasive
ventilatory support and discuss the practical issues associated with this.